My grandkids love coming over and making their own aromatherapy playdough. This playdoh recipe is easy enough for young children, fun, and smells divine!
The kids are familiar with using essential oils at home and love experimenting with different oils for their aromatherapy playdough.
In addition to smelling delicious, the health benefits from essential oils are too good to pass up. And the children get the benefits as they pat, roll, and make creative play with their DIY play doh.
Today we made a basic flour and salt playdough with peppermint essential oil. There is no cooking involved with this scented playdough!
Homemade Peppermint Playdough Recipe
Today’s homemade peppermint playdough recipe was fun to make and the 4-year made it mostly on her own. She had loads of fun playing with it afterwards too.
We easily stored it in a plastic bag or you can use an airtight container too.
Flour and Salt Playdough Ingredients
Homemade Scented Playdough Instructions
1. Mix the flour and salt in a bowl.
2. Mix the water and food coloring in a separate bowl.
3. Pour the water mixture into the flour and salt mixture.
4. Stir with a spoon.
5. Knead with your hands.
6. After the play-doh is made, add a few drops of Peppermint (or another) essential oil.
Have fun with this easy way to make play doh at home!
Experiment with other Essential Oils
Be sure to try other fun essential oils that the kids love. Here are a few suggestions:
- Wild Orange – uplifting and energizing
- Peppermint – congestion and energizing
- Lemon – clarity and focus
- Serenity – relaxed and calming
- Lavender – calming and promotes a good sleep
We love making non-toxic , do-it-yourself playdough! It’s inexpensive and lasts a few weeks. The kids can have creative play for hours on end!
The mess is simple to clean up too!
I hope you enjoyed this post about homemade peppermint playdough. We sure enjoyed making it and sharing it with you!
Interested in learning more about essential oils? We can chat about what would best fit your needs!