Are you trying to figure out how to anchor the top car seat tether on a Honda CRV 2014?
You’ve come to the right place.
I recently got the Evenflo Maestro Booster Car Seat Thunder for my granddaughter to use in my car.
I installed the lower LATCH anchors just fine but was confused about the strap in back of the front facing car seat. I learned about why it’s important to tether the top car seat strap to the anchor for safety reasons.
In this article, I’ll explain why and how to anchor the tether in a Honda CRV 2014.
What is a Car Seat Top Tether Strap?
If you look in the back of your forward facing child safety seat, you’ll see a long strap made of seat belt material. It has a hook on the end, similar to the hooks on the lower LATCH anchors. The hook latches onto to an anchor in your car.
All cars made after 2002 use the LATCH (Lower Anchors and Tethers for CHildren) system.
The top tether strap reduces forward motion of your child’s head if you crash. Reducing head movement decreases the chance of serious head and neck injuries.
How to Install the Top Tether in a Honda CRV 2014
First install the car seat using the lower anchors. Read the instructions that came with your child car seat.
There are a couple of ways to install the top tether in Honda CRV 2014. It depends on where you place the car seat.
- If you place the car seat on the left or right side, the tether anchors are located on the back of the seat.
- If you place the car seat in the center position, the car seat tether anchor is located in the back on the ceiling of the Honda CRV.
Be sure to read the instruction manual that came with your child safety seat to learn about the specific tethering straps.
Your car manual will also include information about where to find all the LATCH anchors in your car and how to use them.
To install the child safety seat tether strap:
The strap is located on the back of the child safety seat and will have a latch hook on the end.
- If you position the car seat on the left or right, lengthen the strap and pull in through under the headrest.
- Hook to the latch on the lower part of the back of the seat.
- If you position the car seat in the middle, open or remove the cover on the tether anchor, located on the back ceiling (next to the light.)
- Lengthen the tether strap and hook to the upper anchor.
- Tighten the tether strap.
Using the LATCH system is the best way to keep your child safe in your car. Regardless of which position you place the carseat, your car should have latch anchors available.
Don’t ignore the top tether strap. It only takes a few minutes to install and can make all the difference to your child’s safety should you get into an accident.